21-Day Meditation Challenge: Day 17: Om Shanti<br>Nikki Estrada

21-Day Meditation Challenge: Day 17: Om Shanti
Nikki Estrada

Watch this Practice
Curtis Hamilton
I did't know if I should say part of the mantra on the in breath and part on the out breath so I said the entire mantra on the in breath and on the out breath I counted a bead. This was a very different feeling. I can't really describe the difference in words but it was great.
Ben R
3 people like this.
Much regard. I enjoyed this practice and felt more grounded and went a little deeper inside, I am very settled now and the sound vibrations made me feel wonderful. I actually heard myself chanting "Shanti" several times softly. Good practice. Nahaaw. Ben.
Matthew
1 person likes this.
hi - i liked this.
with 3 syllables in the mantra it did bring home a question about coordination (not not) of finger movements, breathing and speech. not to overthink it but any thoughts on this?
also i'd be interested in your take on mantras spoken silently vs aloud?
thanks.
Nikki Estrada
Matthew just let your breathing be natural, you dont need to think about it or coordinate it with your breath. Just calmly go bead to bead. Mantras out loud are beautiful and helpful. However, practiced internally (silently in your mind) they are considered even more potent. You are training your mind along the inner vibration of the mantra itself. This is the most transformative way to practice them...
Matthew
1 person likes this.
thats really helpful - thanks v much
Jennifer D
1 person likes this.
When you speak about “feeling tone” do you mean the tone of the mantra in your mind?
I’m loving these meditations, I keep getting stuck on that phrase and don’t quite understand it. Thank you so much 🙏
Nikki Estrada
Jennifer I havent re-watched the video to see where I said it and in what context but I often say this to ask, "whats your mood, what emotional content do you observe?" But, its also true that each mantra has an energy quality and therefore unique feeling. In either case observe what you are feeling!
Chrys M
1 person likes this.
I don't have an understanding of the 'feeling tone' either and don't feel a vibration with the mantras. I felt like I was 'in the groove' at the start of the challenge with the counting technique but haven't found it with the mantras or mala. Do you think it would be beneficial if, before progressing, I started again from the beginning to see if I can meld into the mantras? (I just reread my comment l...do you think I'm at the frustration stage - har har?!).
Nikki Estrada
Chrys !! dont start over just keep going. I felt the same way with mantras when I first started meditating, so for many years I didnt use them, I counted the breath. The journey is to help you find what works for you. Keep going, see what happens..
Kate M
1 person likes this.
I think that I would have to use this mantra consistently over a much longer period of time to really start to feel  its unique vibrational tone, as compared to the other mantras. Knowing the meaning - om peace - was meaningful at that level. Also - the shhh sound of shanti feels calming, like shalom : )
1-10 of 16

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial