Mother Tongue: Seeing and Sounding the Vowels<br>Anuradha Choudry

Mother Tongue: Seeing and Sounding the Vowels
Anuradha Choudry

Watch this Tutorial
Lizzy R
1 person likes this.
Thank you for making something that might seem daunting seem very accessible. I enjoyed this lesson very much. Also, for someone with an interest in Sanskrit but with small children and not much time, breaking it into these bite size lessons is very helpful. Rather than thinking I have to wait until I am in a different life phase, I feel like I can just start in baby steps. Thank you so much.
Anuradha Choudry
Dear Lizzy, Am thrilled that this way of presenting Sanskrit is fitting your requirement perfectly. Thank you very much for your encouraging feedback. Wishing you a lot of fun and depth on this journey into the heart of Sanskrit :)
Lydia Zamorano
Hi Anuradha Choudry . I'm loving this! Can you explain to me if the dot under the l vowel means that it's a cerebral sound? Or is it a dental sound l. That's the only one I can't seem to understand. It's fascinating! Love Lydia
Anuradha Choudry
Dear Lydia, Feels super to share this adventure of Sanskrit with you! The l with a dot below is basically the dental vowel corresponding which sometimes gets a cerebral connotation as well. So you start with the tip of the tongue behind the top front teeth and you roll it lightly back to resemble a lr but without the rolling 'rr' sound. This and its longer version are seldom used vowels but they are included to maintain the perfection of the vowels system corresponding to the different points of pronunciation. Hope this helps. let me know if you still have a doubt. Love and best wishes :)
Lydia Zamorano
OK! Anuradha Choudry The l and r together are very challenging for me. But it certainly feels like I'm getting a cerebral massage and it feels good for the articulation of my skull bones and mouth! Wonderful!
Anuradha Choudry
Dear Lydia Zamorano, Was wondering how the practice was going! Love and happy brain massaging :)
Jennifer Y
1 person likes this.
Thank you, Anuradha Choudry! I was giddy, like a child, as I practiced along with you. I appreciate the way you organized the written forms with the Roman pronunciation symbols. Using the fingers is such a wonderful way to create a joyful practice of creating the vowel sounds. I feel confident that I can incorporate this into my daily practices.
Steve M
I'm still struggling with ऌ ॡ
Steve M
Although I'm starting to get the hang of the cerebral ऋ, I'm going to need a lot more practice on the retroflex trill; you make it seem so simple!
Anuradha Choudry
Dear Jennifer, Sorry missed acknowledging your warm message. Glad the tips made you enjoy the practice, :)
1-10 of 12

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial