10-Day Meditation Challenge: Find Your Seat for Meditation <br>Rosemary Garrison

10-Day Meditation Challenge: Find Your Seat for Meditation
Rosemary Garrison

Watch this Tutorial
Rosemary Garrison
I understand, Donna . You are not alone. I hope you find yoga and meditation helpful! There is no need to get into the cross legged position. Most important is to find a seat that is relatively comfortable and sustainable. I would say stay with what you have found works... unless and until you naturally shift to another variation.
Jeannie S.
1 person likes this.
I saw the question from Lauren and your answer to her questions. This prompts a question from me which I have been thinking about doing or using for a while and I want to seek your feedback on it. I am not new to yoga and am relatively new to meditation because I find sitting still very challenging. So, recently, I just thought about using my jogging as a form of meditation. I remember when I was training for a marathon. The long run that I did was very peaceful (after I established my pace and had steady breathing. ) . I no longer had to think and just kept my pace steady. I looked back and wondered why it was peaceful because to most people running a marathon is anything but peaceful because it requires so much training.
Jeannie S.
2 people like this.
Part 2 (continued)
But the part I liked was the long run because it's a time that I can run at any pace (at least at that stage and time) and just developed endurance. It was a bit mechanical but it was challenging because I had to constantly be in touch with my body and aware of my breathing. My mind couldn't think about anything else but the mechanics of my running, breathing, and sensation from my body. My question is: can I use this type of running as a "moving meditation"? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this type of meditation? I haven't started doing this as I just came back from Florida to the Northeast. It's quite cold outside so I am still trying to muster enough courage to go out in the cold ... if I could overcome the coldness and run like this... would this count as a meditation? Thanks for your answer in advance!
Best,
Jeannie
Rosemary Garrison
Wonderful question, Jeannie S. And I am sorry for my delay. We were dealing with a family emergency over the holidays. Moving meditation is extraordinary. I understand well what you mean about the peace during a long run and the necessity of focusing on the body, the breath, the movement drawing you into the moment. I say YES, let this be a part of your practice. And... as you can... continue to practice a sitting meditation. As you noted, it is often more challenging. With these challenges come great benefit. It is one thing to focus the mind when we have a specific task (like running). It is another to build that capacity when we have only the breath. My sense is it will serve you well over time. Enjoy.
Kim Schmidt
1 person likes this.
Hello, 
years ago I learned to meditate in my 20's . For years I put it aside and am now just realizing how much I missed/ needed it.  My problem/ concern is I can't do what I did in my 20's.  At least in term of yoga.  Meditation I can fall into alright. I really like this 10 day challenge I never "learned" how to sit right - I just did it. So this has been very helpful. But -do you have any advice for a 47 year old whose body doesn't agree with what it used to do. My biggest problem is balance... I fall out of the simplest poses. I get up and keep trying hoping it'll get better, but could use some encouragement!
Rosemary Garrison
Hello Kim Schmidt , thank you so much for your inquiry! (And your patience with my reply, I've been away.) My guidance is to slow it all down. Look for beginning level classes and take your time. Really feel into the moments that are challenging and move into them mindfully. Explore where the balance tends to get lost and be with that space patiently and compassionately. The physical capacity will build with repetition and practice... and the energy body, mind/ heart component will as well. Let me know how it goes. Be well and enjoy. 
11-16 of 16

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial