Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 1: Strength 1<br>Nathan Briner

Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 1: Strength 1
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Nathan Briner
Hi Rosanna S! Good to connect with you and thanks for reaching out. Let’s talk about that side angle cue. Can you offer more specifics about what confused you? 
Rosanna S
Nathan Briner , sure. I learned from other teachers that the cue is to roll that back thigh in and down towards the ground to protect the pelvis and lower spine. This also makes the back foot turn in a little more. Seems to be the opposite of opening the hip and tucking the glute to me. Am I misunderstanding?
Nathan Briner
Rosanna S, I’m pretty sure that I’m referring to the forward (bent leg) hip. It’s common for me to see the front hip “protrude” out of the pose. In this case, toward the window behind me. This drags the chest in a downward rotation. So I cue to take that buttock “in” or forward. As a consequence, the back hip and quad (straight leg) tend to respond by rolling up toward the ceiling and that buttock relatively goes down. 
All that said, the ultimate goal is to create a balanced feeling in the pose. I could tell you to roll the back hip up or down depending on what the femur is doing within the leg. Is the femur pushed into the skin of the front leg (this is typically the case) or pressed toward the hamstring? Either case has a different cue to adjust that. Aim for a balanced feeling from the periphery to the center and back to the periphery in all spaces of the body. Hope that helps!
Rosanna S
1 person likes this.
Nathan Briner , thank you! This is super helpful!
Rosanna S
2 people like this.
This is my second time taking this class and maybe going through the challenge again on days when I don't have a lot of time in the morning. I can feel a huge shift in my body from the first time I did this, and other yoga classes feel different and much more profound than before! I heard some new things this time in the class, so looking forward to learning what I missed the first time around! Your instruction is such a gift!
Nathan Briner
That is sooo good to hear Rosanna S! It’s exciting to hear all the changes you’re experiencing. Keep up the great work. I’m always here for you if you need any help :)
Arik O
1 person likes this.
Doing the challenge a second time because its so great!
Nathan Briner
Arik O! That’s awesome! I would love to hear what new discoveries you make coming through round two. 
Rachel B
1 person likes this.
I am just starting the challenge. I usually do not feel really connected to my body when strength is the focus of the class but Nathan's cues are very precise and really invited me into an embodied practice.  
Nathan Briner
Hi Rachel B! Welcome to the Align with Freedom challenge! Good to connect with you :) Sounds like you’re off to a great start. 
I hope you’ll find that even though strength is the target in the first section of the challenge, I am always aiming at feeling the inner, embodied experience. My goal in starting with strength is to build a supportive structure and scaffolding that helps us hold poses powerfully and accurately so to draw out more of the benefits. 
If I can be of any help in your journey through the challenge with a pose or modification, please don’t hesitate to ask questions or leave a comment :) 
-Nathan

51-60 of 84

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial