Aligned and Awake: Actions of Strength<br>Nathan Briner

Aligned and Awake: Actions of Strength
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Nathan Briner
Thank you, Jennifer L! Good to be here with you. 
Christie K
2 people like this.
What a great lesson! I really appreciate your deliberate inclusion of restorative poses throughout the practice.

I'm struggling to engage my bicep , though. You offer a little tip to engage the tricep (press the heel of your palm down), which was very helpful. Is there a similar trick I can use to engage the bicep? Thanks!
Nathan Briner
Hi Christie K :)
Yes, the bicep is a little tricky when the arm is straight. Basically, you squeeze the arms toward one another. The problem with this is that the elbow tends to hyperextend. So the idea is is to use the bicep as a brace against hyperextension by pressing the bicep against the arm bone. This concept is unpacked a little more in the “Perfection of Lines” lesson. 
Let me know if this all makes sense. 
Ali
Ali
1 person likes this.
I always learn something from you which profoundly affects my practice in the long-term and this is true again. Thank you so much Nathan. I recently began teaching and I will be trying to incorporate these principles into my teaching.
Nathan Briner
Ali, that means the world to hear. That you have discovered valuable ideas by working with these principles AND felt them important enough to share with your students. As a teacher, i can’t think of kinder praise. Thank you 🙏 
Brenda S
1 person likes this.
Second time taking this class. Good review of the job of the triceps and biceps when doing side plank. (I’ve been away because I cut my thumb and couldn’t support myself and I’ve been working on renovating.) so good to be back. Thank you!
Nathan Briner
Brenda S, I’m glad you’re all healed up. Welcome back! 
Rosanna S
1 person likes this.
Wow, I never understood how to engage the quads until today without hyper extending the knees. Interestingly, I feel some engagement up into my core, as well. It's like a whole body engagement. I have hyper extensive elbows, too, so the arm action was so helpful. I found that by properly supporting my arm muscles, my shoulders dropped from my ears and gave my neck a lot more space, too. Thank you so much!
Nathan Briner
Rosanna S!! Yes :) You nailed it! Once the muscles support the structure of the pose, hidden resistance can let go. The body can “unlock” into the shape of the pose. I use the work unlock rather than stretch because, to me, they are very different feeling. You felt the shoulders let go as opposed to feel like they’re being pushed into a position. This unlock feeling is what I would call Ahimsa :)
Can’t wait to hear what else you discover 🙏
Brenda S
1 person likes this.
Hi Nathan, missed your series! I’ve been doing other types of yoga. Thanks for the review of how the tricep and bicep 💪🏼 Work together. 
21-30 of 33

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial