Advanced Basics: Essential Core Lesson<br>Nathan Briner

Advanced Basics: Essential Core Lesson
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Sally S
1 person likes this.
Thanks, when you say bring the waistband downward, getting a pelvic tuck, are you asking for a slight posterior pelvic tilt? 
Nathan Briner
Hi Sally S, that’s exactly what I’m asking for, but I find that asking students to move the waistband down to the floor gets a different result than asking for a pelvic tilt. In general, the waist band request tends to elicit a lower and transverse abdominal action, whereas a pelvic tilt seems to bring much more leg and buttock participation. Pelvic tilt also tends to draw attention to the up-rolling tailbone. Essentially it’s the same thing but (in general) waistband tilt helps to focus the attention on the lower abdomen in my experience. 
Rosanna S
1 person likes this.
I really appreciate the instruction in your classes. It feels oike I've gotten a strengthening muscle massage and chiropractic adjustment. How do you learn about these details? I want to learn more!
Nathan Briner
Hi Rosanna S! I love to hear about your experience with these lessons! A muscle massage is exactly what we are going for here. By using the muscles to sport the poses we keep the joints safe AND we create a circulation pump through muscular action. That’s what creates the warm massage feeling, plus the bonus of building tons of strength. 
Let me know what you’re most interested in learning, I do online workshops throughout the year. I’m happy to work the your questions into the focus of the workshop. 
Kate M
1 person likes this.
Loved this practice, Nathan! Love the calmly paced focus on the core... thank you : )
Kerry N-W
1 person likes this.
Very interesting to feel this subtle shift in where the effort is originating. I have always either avoided using my abdominals or I genuinely forget that they exist. Why? I wonder a lot if this area of the body wants to hide from me. My is it so elusive for some people? 
Thanks for your work and gentle teaching. It means so much to many of us.
Kerry
Nathan Briner
Kerry N-W, thank you for leaving a comment. Are you a musician? Looks like you might play by your picture here. 

You ask why the central area is elusive. My best answer is that that’s sort of the way the brain (motor cortex) is organized. Have you ever looked at the humunculus in an anatomy book? If you haven’t, the way the brain “sees” it’s parts is emphasized at the periphery (hands, feet, lips, tongue) and minimal at the center. In terms of yoga practice, many notice that they can feel their peripheral parts much better than their center. It can take time to build a clearer sense of the center of the body. 
Here’s a representation of the humunculus, how the brain sees the body. 

Kerry N-W
1 person likes this.
Nathan,
This is absolutely fascinating! I never knew about the "humunculous" theory. My core is so elusive that I get very impatient and upset trying to consciously move it in any direction.
I have very little core strength (I think) and use my legs and lower back--ANYTHING--to power these movements. 
Next episode--twisting was both insightful and nearly tear-inducing--so I will take your urging toward patience very much to heart (my other humunculus).
I'm not a guitarist, but love stephen malkmus and that pircture is one of his bass players.
THANK YOU
Nathan Briner
Kerry N-W, glad that theory is connecting. It has echoed my experience for years. 
If you would like to work with your core and strength a bit more after you complete the Advaned basics series, I highly recommend trying the Align with Freedom 30 day challenge. I am of the belief that strength is the most important first step to doing the yoga poses well and safely, and this theme runs throughout the 30 day challenge. There is much core work in the first 2 weeks of the program. Check it out. I think you’ll dig it. 
PS im a huge music fan so I can definitely appreciate the fan pic of the band :)
Kerry N-W
thank you--will do!
11-20 of 23

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial