Yoga for Athletes: Shoulder and Hip Love<br>Lydia Zamorano

Yoga for Athletes: Shoulder and Hip Love
Lydia Zamorano

Watch this Practice
Alice B
1/2. Thanks Lydia Zamorano for this interesting practise. After following it, I still have a question for you: I'm a former wildwater kayaking athlete and after spending so much time training and competing sitting in my kayak, pulling and pushing on my hips, I found out a few years back that my hips were pretty damaged. Am not sure how to describe it with the right terms in English, but it's like the cartilage between the hip socket and the femoral head is used, very thin and kind of cracked, etc. A a result I can feel pain sometimes (not all the time though), like there's something pinching in my hip. Then I reposition slightly my hip and leg and it's gone (very funny situation when riding a bike!).
Alice B
2/2. So my question is : from your experience are there any poses I should avoid regarding my hips' condition ? I always hesitate between "ok, this pose hurt a bit but by doing it, it will improve my flexibility and lower my pain in the end" and "Ok, it hurts, don't do it or do it differently because physically you just can't". What's your point of view on this? Sorry, I know it's a tough one and I'm of course aware you're not a physician, but I wanted to know what was your global guidelines when it comes to deficient parts of the body and pain. Thanks !
Lydia Zamorano
Hi Alice
Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry you're hips have given you some discomfort.
You're right I'm not a medical professional. So I would certainly seek out a variety of advice/suggestions regarding your hip pain.
I'm not sure which poses give you pain or give you the feeling that you need to readjust, (readjusting to cater the pose to where you want it is generally a really positive thing!). However, I usually stay out of pain in the joints (this doesn't include pressure), and instead I practice at an edge that feels productive yet gentle, 5-7 days a week. You can check out a philosophy I love here http://yogawithlydia.ca/?page_id=24
See next note. xo
Lydia Zamorano
Alice
I can say, that a practice that will increase fluidity and mobility in your hip joints would be the back repair sequence on this show.
There is very little weight bearing on the joints, the fascia is lengthened through a gentle oscillation technique, and the goal is re-lubrication of the joint. Given the information you've offered I think this practice would really benefit. Have you done it?
Please do keep in touch with us here. We love hearing from you.
Lydia Zamorano
Alice B
1 person likes this.
Thank you so much Lydia Zamorano for your interesting answer. Your "70%" post is exactly the kind of approach I was looking for - thanks for confirming it and putting it into words for me. I was still too much in my "athlete's mind" and was certainly pushing where my hips could not go! I've not done yet the back repair sequence but from what I saw, it looks indeed very interesting. I will try it very soon. About the "medical" point of view, be sure you've actually given me the best ever (doctors have never given one piece of advice, just "well, sooner or later we'll have to change those hips", what is very reassuring at 28 :) Have a beautiful day and thx again.
Lydia Zamorano
Alice So glad that approach resonated with you. And please keep in touch about the way things are unfolding. With a warm smile! Lydia Zamorano
Joan J
This was a nice, easy hip and shoulder opener for me. My shoulders are extremely tight, but your postures were gentle, and I love how you explain ways to ease into them. My knees are horrible, using the bolster made it comfortable for me in the hero pose sequence. Always enjoy your softness getting into poses, and those tiny adjustments that make it sweeter. I could not do pigeon today, so this was a wonderful way to stretch and release my hips. Thank you for another lovely, thoughtful session Lydia💜
Lydia Zamorano
Hi Joan Thank you for practicing here with me. I'm so happy to hear that your hips loved this practice. Truly makes my day! Love! Lydia Zamorano
David G-
Great self-care for a Friday morning before work. I am sitting at the edge of my chair as I type. The side-stretches were difficult, and therefore, rewarding. I was inspired by the Savasana to write a meditation called Ground and Expand. I always love nostril awareness, but today's breathing practice was legit centering.  Have a great weekend Lydia! 
Lydia Zamorano
David Goldstein Ground and Expand sounds delightful. I love the details as well. Thanks for your message today David. Hope the sun comes out for you today! Warmth, 
Lydia 
11-20 of 23

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial