Yin Yoga: Yin Quickie<br>Alana Mitnick

Yin Yoga: Yin Quickie
Alana Mitnick

Watch this Practice
Kate M
1 person likes this.
This was a nice quieting practice after one of Helga's Functional Fitness sequences! Thank you, Alana Mitnick !
Alana Mitnick
Wow, Kate! Nice combo of practices. I'll have to try that myself! Rest well xoA
Ali
Ali
1 person likes this.
This was perfect after a long restful sleep. I had a lot of sensation in my left thigh in saddle pose, so felt I wanted to bring my knees together after a minute or so. I’m guessing you would encourage this personal adaptation of poses depending on what we feel we need? And would you recommend practising a pose regularly and gradually extending the hold if there is a lot of sensation?
Alana Mitnick
Ali, So happy to hear about your long restful sleep. Great observations... Yes, I always encourage listening to your body and exploring what feels best and safest for you.  Yin is an edgy practice and we are playing with riding the wave of sensations... looking for that "dull achy feel-good-curious stretch" rather than anything painful, sharp, and so on. Typically in the yin Saddle the knees are wide-ish and the big toes are touching. How did it feel bringing your knees closer together? What did you notice in your lower back? Did you have a bolster or support under your spine? I find sometimes raising UP the support (bolster + blanket stacked, for example) can alleviate the sensation in the thighs. As for gradually extending the hold, I find each day is a little different... so listening to your body for when it's time to come out is key. Love, Alana 
Ali
Ali
1 person likes this.
Thanks for your reply Alana. The stretch felt a little too intense in my quads with legs apart, and it eased when I brought my knees together. I used a bolster to support my lower back, and so that felt good. 
Yes, that makes sense about each day being different. I am learning to tune into this. Really enjoying the yin practice when I don’t feel I have the energy for a flow practice. I do love the variety on Yoga Anytime. 
On a different point, malasana has transformed gardening!  Gardening is a slight obsession of mine, and since starting my daily yoga practice nearly a year ago, I can sink down into a squat with ease and maintain the position comfortably for weeding my flowerbeds. Amazing!
Alana Mitnick
Ali, I love hearing your observations... thank you so much for sharing! Malasana is one of my go-to asanas... it helps to release my low back and open my hips again and again. It's not so easy to access and can time to feel comfortable and balanced in the shape. Support under the heels or sit bones can be really helpful. Gardening, wedding and being in the earth is so therapeutic right now... one of my favorite yoga practices. Love, Alana 
Matthew
1 person likes this.
so nice - and to get it done in 30 mins has its appeal when time's short. thanks. :)
Alana Mitnick
So great to hear, Matthew. Thank you for joining me for a Yin quickie! What a difference 30 minutes can make in your day. Take care! Alana 
Sandra Židan
Hi! This was a really great practice and it helped me to open my spine and to breath better- only my law back couldn't stand the whole saddle pose- it started to hurt me and I had to leave the pose earlier. Kind regards!
Alana Mitnick
Hi Sandra, Great observations... and yes, Saddle pose can be quite intense on the lower back, especially if you are newer to exploring this shape. I find it also depends on the anatomy we were born with... as some bodies are more prone towards forward bends (which requires internal hip rotation and open hamstrings) while others are drawn towards deeper backbends (external hip rotation). Listening to your body and coming out "early" is the safest way avoid injury. You might explore Half Saddle (at 24 min) or a thigh/quad stretch on your side (at 15 min). Keep me posted! xoA
11-20 of 21

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial