Welcome to Ashtanga: Fundamental Ashtanga Asanas<br>Dylan Bernstein

Welcome to Ashtanga: Fundamental Ashtanga Asanas
Dylan Bernstein

Watch this Practice
Kate M
2 people like this.
This is a lovely sequence, isn't it? I quite like the standing sequence... thank you for the guidance.
Katarina V
2 people like this.
Dylan, thank you also for this practice. I have Always found it hard to jump back and forward with straight legs. It seems like you lean forward on your arms and use your core. Or what is the technique? And how do you do it so slow? I would love some ques or maybe a tutorial?
Matthew
2 people like this.
awesome sequence. really warm, balanced, economical commentary. many thanks.
Jimena B
2 people like this.
Thanks a lot of this beautiful practice, the rhythm was perfect for me I didn’t feel that I needed to run. Also the alignment and explanation, I am coming back to my practice after some months of not being consistent so my body is a little stiff. Thank you!!
Dylan Bernstein
I'm so glad to know that you all are finding value here. The standing series is a gem, Kate ... It's been my foundation for a few decades now and I think it is the root of many a flow class worldwide. ${customer_id:10679} , the stock answer is bandha, bandha, bandha and I don't think that is wrong at all! I do break down the jump through in a tutorial. I really hope that you find it useful! Matthew I'm glad that you didn't find it overly verbose, for me, there is a lot of silence in yoga... but getting there requires some effort for sure. Jimena please don't run! I'm very much in the camp of a little every day is of more use than going for it in one swift exertion. Thanks to you all, keep in touch and keep practicing. It's such a blessing that Yoga Anytime allows us the freedom to explore tradition practices using modern connections. Thanks!
Jimena B
1 person likes this.
Thanks a lot Dylan Bernstein
Ali
Ali
1 person likes this.
Really enjoyed this practice. I have always felt intimidated by Ashtanga, but after a couple of months of daily practising with various classes on this site, the primary series now feels accessible to me. I love your clear cues with the counting. I will come back to this regularly.
Dylan Bernstein
Ali , thanks for the honest sharing. This really makes our day! Please do come back to this regularly. Ashtanga is indeed powerful but it need not be so intimidating! It's for everyone and that means you! :D Keep practicing and keep in touch! D
Sharmila V
1 person likes this.
Hi Dylan thank you for sharing this practice -- it's helpful as i just started following some of the Ashtanga videos. I find it really difficult to keep long steady breaths while also concentrating on my bandhas. Often, I feel my breath getting shallow when I am tightening the bandhas. Is this a common beginner problem in Ashtanga, or am I doing something wrong? Any advice? Does your breath capacity grow as you continue to practice Ashtanga? 
Dylan Bernstein
Sharmila Hi, and thanks for the great question. Yes, indeed -- as you intuit this is a common problem to beginners to Ashtanga and it will subside as you get more comfortable with the breathing system. Try to make sure that your chest feels expansive and even feel that breath rises all the way up through your collarbones. Keeping this directional awareness of the upward rising breath should help to develop more capacity during engaged thoracic breathing.. And hey, backbends will also help to open the chest and allow more breathing room. I really hope that this helps and that you stay in the practice! Cheer and blessings! D

1-10 of 22

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial