Yin Yoga: Meet Your Edge<br>Alana Mitnick

Yin Yoga: Meet Your Edge
Alana Mitnick

Watch this Practice
Robin J
1 person likes this.
I so enjoyed this practice   It was opening an expensive  Thanks so much
Alana Mitnick
Hi Robin, There's nothing like a good Yin practice. So glad you enjoyed it! Happy New Year! Love, Alana 
Ali
Ali
1 person likes this.
Hi Alana, I woke up too early after an oopsy mocha too late yesterday afternoon, so I thought I would try this practice in the hope it helps me get through a busy day. I have a couple of questions, as I am new to yin. I got pins and needles in the folded leg in Swan which was not unpleasant, so I just stayed with it - is that ok? And in caterpillar, is it ok to let the legs drop out (outward rotation) because otherwise they got shaky?
Alana Mitnick
Hi Ali, Thanks so much for asking. Great questions! Regarding Swan - the pins and needles feeling could be a sign that some part of the leg is "asleep" meaning the circulation is cut off. It could also be a sign of nerve feedback/sensation. How did it feel staying with it? Was there a specific area you felt this sensation? Hip? Knee? Foot? In general, if it's painful, carefully back out and release from the pose. Re Caterpillar, it's my understanding that allowing the legs to drop out (naturally externally rotating) is fine within the Yin Yoga parameters. The main emphasis in this forward fold is stretching the connective tissue/fascia on the back body, hence the verbal cuing, "let your back round" etc. Please feel free to private message me with any questions. Again, thanks so much for touching base and sharing. xoA
Ali
Ali
1 person likes this.
Hi Alana, I can’t actually remember now where I had pins and needles but I feel like it was probably my foot. I will be more observant next time! Would you recommend wiggling? I do like a wiggle! 😂 I am very intrigued by this practice as a complement to yoga flows or alignment- focused approaches. There is so much to explore here!
Alana Mitnick
Hi Ali, Yes... your foot would make sense... you might play with propping yourself up a little higher, and if available in your hip (and no pain in the knee) "tow-heeling" the front foot slightly away from you... this will most likely increase the sensation in your externally-rotated hip and give the front foot some "breathing room" as I like to say. Wiggling is wonderful.  I find the natural movements and adjustments help the nervous system feel safe with an "exist route." Does this make sense? And yes, there is SO much to explore! I admire your steady dedication, engagement and curiosity. LOVE, Alana 
Sam Kabert
1 person likes this.
this was great, thank you
Alana Mitnick
HI Sam Kabert , So glad you enjoyed  the Yin practice! Warmly, Alana 
Sandra Židan
Great practice, Alana! Thank you very much for it!
Alana Mitnick
Sandra, lovely to practice Yin together! So glad you're here! xoA
11-20 of 40

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial