Wake Up with Yoga: Stable and Open Flow<br>Birgitte Kristen

Wake Up with Yoga: Stable and Open Flow
Birgitte Kristen

Watch this Practice
Christel B
2 people like this.
Appreciating your classes and your instructions. I am wondering about tightening the muscles in the belly area; should it become part of our natural behavior on exhaling during asana or even all the time; should we let our bellies expand during inhalations or it all depends on the asana? 
Namaste,
Chri stel
Birgitte
3 people like this.
Christel B Hi Christel, Great questions! When we do abdominal work, we emphasize firming the belly in as we exhale....so a much more deliberate action. "Tightening" to me, reminds me of tension, so I try to avoid that verb.  The diaphragm (a thin dome shaped muscle that sits right below the heart and lungs, the main muscle of respiration) contracts on the inhalation to allow for the lungs to expand. As the diaphragm contracts, it puts pressure on the abdominal organs and that is why the belly expands. So really, for a full breath in, we should not be firming our belly in. However, there are poses, where we have to firm the belly in and it is helpful to emphasize breathing in to the side ribs and the back ribs....like plank pose...anytime we need to stabilize our trunk. There is much more to this, but this is all interesting to explore in your own body. Namaste, Birgitte
Christel B
2 people like this.
Yes, quite interesting and a bit tricky to get straight sometimes.  
Thank you for your input Brigitte.
Aloha,
Chri stel
Birgitte
4 people like this.
Christel B Hi Christel, I agree. Warmest, Birgitte
David G-
1 person likes this.
That was a beautiful sequence. Like you said about your first yoga  class, I too simply feel better. Namaste 🙏🏻 
Birgitte
1 person likes this.
David Goldstein Hi David, That is great to hear. I always appreciate your feedback. Namaste, Birgitte
Kate M
So nice to have your guidance on a grey and rainy low energy morning here! Just setting up for a lovely śavāsana now... mmmmmm   : )
Birgitte
1 person likes this.
Kate M Hi Kate, I grew up in Denmark, so I am very familiar with the grey and rainy weather.....hope you enjoyed your Savasana. Warmest, Birgitte
Kate M
Birgitte the śavāsana was deep and very lovely!!  : )
Birgitte
1 person likes this.
Kate M Great to hear! Savasana can be the best part of the practice. B
11-20 of 31

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial