Mindfulness in Motion 10-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 4: Posture and Your Pelvis<br>Quamay Sams

Mindfulness in Motion 10-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 4: Posture and Your Pelvis
Quamay Sams

Watch this Practice
Kate M
5 people like this.
Interesting work! I have a kind of technical question: 
High lunge, right leg forward:
Right glute is being stretched, left glute engages as left hip is in extension.
Q: you are asking for a contraction of the right glute as well, which is stretching? So it's kind of counter to what is happening in that right glute? So it will be both stretching and engaging - like an isometric engagement (I think it's called)?
: ) Thanks again for the guidance, Quamay! : )
Quamay S
5 people like this.
Kate M I LOVE these questions! 

You are correct, we are stretching AND engaging. You can think of it as a Co-Contraction. You can do this Isometrically and Eccentrically. Traditionally when we move through asana, we are usually working in a way where we are either Lengthening/Engaging one muscle and by default the muscle on the opposite side does the opposite (i.e in a bicep curl your bicep engages while your tricep lengthens). So when we work in a way that engages the muscles WHILE THEY ARE BEING LENGTHENED, we create a co-contraction that not only produces length, but also strength in that lengthened position. Which means we create more stability and support for our bodies as we move through our full range. Something we don't get when we passively stretch. I hope that answered your question! You are SO SO welcome Kate. I can not say it enough!
Kate M
2 people like this.
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation, Quamay S ! I think I get it now...!
Jenny S
5 people like this.
These practices are a godsend during my annual post-holiday crash and burn…the guidance you provide during the asanas takes my mind off “chatter mode” and your relaxing voice puts my whole body at ease. Thank you for this wonderful gift Quamay 🙏🏻✨
Michelle F
2 people like this.
Happy 2023 Quamay!
Wow this session passed in a flash and left a wonderful aftertaste! Thank you!
Have a great day
loveandpeacexxxx
Christel B
1 person likes this.
Wonderful session! That glute work is so important.
Oana P
1 person likes this.
thx a lot for this wonderful practice.namaste
Sandra Židan
Beautiful practice! Thanks, Quamay! Namaste! 🥰
Robin L
Love the cues - really helps me understand the poses better. 
Kit & Dee Dee
Fabulous challenge to rediscover. Thanks!

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial