Mother Tongue: Cases Masculine<br>Anuradha Choudry

Mother Tongue: Cases Masculine
Anuradha Choudry

Watch this Tutorial
Kate M
2 people like this.
The gestures are SO helpful. Now I just need to repeat this 1000 times...
Anuradha Choudry
Dear Kate, am glad you found the actions helpful. I think adding body language is fun and adds a valuable dimension to learning a language. Have fun learning the noun forms.
Kate M
2 people like this.
I just wrote out two nouns in all the declensions today, and two yesterday. The combination of your visual/oral presentations and my writing them out and saying them out loud seems to be a good combination. (But it's going to take lots of repetition and reinforcement!)
Anuradha Choudry
Dear Kate, great job!! Learning anything needs some time-investment. However, the good news with Sanskrit learning is that it is a one-time investment. Once you have it, it will be the same for all words that have the same ending. See if you can get the patterns. Lastly would suggest that once you have learnt the case endings play with them by applying them to English words like if you have to say 'i am going with my friend - you could say 'friend-ena going or gacchAmi' :) this application of the new in a familiar context will consolidate the learning for you and help remember the case ending while making it come alive through relevant play.' All the best. Let me know how this works for you.
Kate M
1 person likes this.
Very interesting suggestion! I'll have to try this out!
Anuradha Choudry
उत्तमम् - Excellent!! Let me know if it works for you 😊
Kate M
I'm back again! I'm starting my second season studying Vedic chanting and Sanskrit grammar with my teacher. We've looked at many (it seems!!) grammatical concepts since learning the cases, but I now find that I'm forgetting so much : ( So I really need to go back and MEMORIZE the basics. I have been just trying to consult the many paradigms in doing my little translations - but there are getting to be just too many!!! Coming back to the hand gestures is fantastic. I am going to watch this once again. I also find the vertical approach super helpful.
Anuradha Choudry
Dear Kate, great to have you back. The best approach to learning Sanskrit is to recognise that you need to remember just one sample of every group and it's application is infinite unlike in languages like English where you have to keep memorising the forms of every word. Secondly, identify patterns in the declensions for different words. It will involve your logical mind and stick better in your head. Third say the words aloud and do the actions. Sanskrit is primarily an auditory language according to me and connects straight to the heart when you sound it using another dimension of our learning faculty other than the visual and mind. And last but not the least, if you can apply the words by making simple daily sentences your system cognitive system will assimilate it more effectively. Try these and let me know whether it helps. DhanyavAdah and shubhamastu - may well-being be yours! :)
Kate M
These recommendations sound like they will be very helpful! I was just reciting the masculine noun declensions with the gestures to start off my yoga practice this morning. This will help to create that solid base that I seem to be needing in order to insert new grammatical concepts. Thank you for your encouragement and positive energy! Namaste!
Anuradha Choudry
Uttamam!! Excellent! Give these tips a shot and let me know whether they help and any other feedback.
Namaste!
1-10 of 14

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial