Too Tight to Stretch: Stretch Your Back<br>Emily K. Benaron

Too Tight to Stretch: Stretch Your Back
Emily K. Benaron

Watch this Practice
Glynis R
2 people like this.
this gave me such a wonderful stretch in my hips - and using the blocks for the first time like that was SO good - thankyou !
Emily B
That is wonderful to hear, Glynis! Thank you for your feedback! I am so happy you found this practice to be helpful!
Joan J
1 person likes this.
I have to watch my lower back, so stretching the hamstrings & calfs really helps. Having the block under the lower back and stretching out one leg gave me such relief in the low back. I will do that stretch every day. Thank you for a gentle stretching session.
Emily K. Benaron
Joan I am so happy to hear that this practice is helpful for you! Thank you for trying it!
Joan J
Emily I do this practice often ( I really need it) and each time I feel more space in my back and hips, and length in my hamstrings. Question: sometimes I get a foot cramp when stretching the hamstrings, how can I avoid that without compromising the stretch. Grateful for your teachings.
Emily K. Benaron
Joan I am happy to hear you are finding this practice useful. I am sorry you are experiencing some cramping. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but also doesn't feel super good in the moment. In many cases, your body/brain is trying to figure out what is happening and all kinds of confusing signals get sent to the tissues. I am wondering if it would be helpful for you you to try some dynamic movement, such as flexing and extending the knee, to contract and relax the hamstrings, prior to holding the hamstring stretch if that will help prepare your tissues a little more for a deeper passive stretch. You may need to pause the video for a little bit to give yourself time. Also, maybe back off of the pose a little to start and then ease your way in as you feel your body inviting you to move a little deeper while maintaining a neutral low back (your natural lumbar curve.) Use deep and slow belly breath to calm your nervous system.
Joan J
Emily thank you for responding and for your suggestions. It is an awful feeling in the moment, and I will do the flexing & backing off if it happens again. Hopefully my hammies will loosen eventually, and it won't be a problem. Many thanks, be well.
Crista C
This practice helped my pain immensely, thank you! 
Emily K. Benaron
Crista  I am beyond thrilled to hear this. Thank you for sharing
Roslyn G
1 person likes this.
I will be doing this practice again as I felt relaxed and at the same got a nice stretch to my back and hamstrings

1-10 of 17

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial