Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 14: Power 2<br>Nathan Briner

Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 14: Power 2
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Kate M
4 people like this.
Nice strong work here again! I find the belt around the upper arms somewhat claustrophobic - it tends to press into my face at a certain point. But this reaction is likely because it's not a prep that I normally use. It does provide some interesting feedback about the positioning of the arms in Urdhva Dhanurasana. Thank you, Nathan!
Nathan Briner
Kate I hear you about the belt. I’m mainly using it here to help channel the strength of the arms. When the elbows flare out it’s more difficult to lift up. You can also try it just below the elbows. 
I also recommend trying the strap just above the knees. It gives major help to the leg power. Let me know what you think if you try it out 😊
Kate M
2 people like this.
I was experimenting with the strap around the thighs above the knees, and then, with a block in between the thighs and no belt. This was interesting. With the belt, I could push outwards into the belt; with the block, I had to hug inwards. I suspect that the optimal approach would be (without props) to find the middle ground between these two, harmonizing the opposites : ) 
Nathan Briner
Kate yes, the props teach the essential actions. In my experience in my body the block is helpful to feel the inner legs connect to the spine. It helps to drive the legs energy into the floor. The strap really helps taking the tailbone deeply in. 
Lyse B
3 people like this.
Yikes! hard one for me today, I could not come up into that pose you folks are talking about, can't bend my wrists like that. Guess it's practice, I also see it's level 2/3, a little more than I can chew perhaps. I go through the postures as much as I can but just don't have that strength yet. This yoga thing is harder than I thought LOL. Gonna stick with it though.
GIGI A
3 people like this.
Great practice today! The dolphin hop is awesome - a real confidence builder. I"m going to add that to my practice. Similar to the yogis above, wheel with the strap presented a challenge. Part of that is fear for  me as well - sometimes I have vertigo - hard to predict  when.  Is bridge is a fair substitute?
Nathan Briner
GIGI, yes the bridge is a perfect substitute. Remember that the strap is only a guide. It is not meant to be THE way to do the pose. For many, when they push up from the floor in full wheel, the elbows flare out wide and this diminishes strength and pinches the shoulder (for some). But if the strap is too restrictive, feel free to skip it. 
Thanks for leaving a comment. Let me know if you have any other questions:)
Tracy S
Great action and alignment cues!!!! I am charged up for the day!  Thank you so much Nathan Briner!  Tracy from Summerville
Nathan Briner
Glad you’re enjoying the challenge Tracy 
Daniel C
1 person likes this.
awesome
1-10 of 34

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial