Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 13: Power 1<br>Nathan Briner

Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 13: Power 1
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Kate M
2 people like this.
Nice balanced sequencing! Nice to mobilize that inner strength...
Robbie S
Should the toes hurt in camel pose?
Nathan Briner
Robbie, I suspect that your toe flexibility may be limited in such a way that tucking the toes under may cause strain for you. Some options to fix that are pointing the toes and feet so that the tops of the feet are on the mat as in the traditional asana. In this version I’d recommend two vertical yoga blocks be placed alongside the ankles. Bring the hands to the blocks. Or you could rest a bolster on the calves and ankles for the same effect. Hands come to the bolster. 
Lastly, you could roll a thick yoga blanket and place in under and across the ankles so that the feet are no longer in contact with the mat. Similar to this picture but with the tops of the feet resting on the blister or blanket. I hope these tips help :)

Maggie T
1 person likes this.
Nathan, 
Great first power session. My knees really hurt in camel and boat pose. Any suggestions. I put a towel underneath for camel...and it was ok.. but how about boat?
Nathan Briner
Maggie, good to hear from you! If the trouble with the knees is pressure on from a hard floor, then a towel is a good solution or folding your mat once or twice for extra cushion. I’m not sure about boat pose because the knees are off the floor. Which part was giving you trouble?
Maggie T
The pressure of holding the ankle in boat puts undue strain on my left knee in particular. I guess I should just avoid it then? It feels painful in a bad way... But curious if there is a good way to modify...??
Nathan Briner
Maggie, I think you mean Bow pose? Danurasana? If grabbing the ankle puts too much pressure on the knee you could try using a strap around the ankle area and holding the strap in the hand. This diminishes the angle at the knee. Adjust the strap length to suit your needs. You could also skip the ankle hold entirely and just bend the knee. 
There are many factors that could cause the knee to act up but it could be from the knee being held too close to the midline of the body. Shift the knee/leg to a wider position and see if that helps. Let me know how these ideas work for you :)
Maggie T
1 person likes this.
Yes! It is Bow pose! Sorry about that. I will try the strap and moving the knee away from the midline! Thank you so much 😊
Nathan Briner
Maggie, let me know how it goes :)
KY
KY
1 person likes this.
Thank you for another great session. Really enjoying the 30 day challenge.
1-10 of 47

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial