Yoga mat adivce

Hayley R
Hi,
I am really enjoying the 30 day challenge so far. I have a cheap yoga mat that slides on my tiles and it makes me feel really insecure.
What materials or specifications are best to stop a slinding mat? Or alternatively, are there any hacks for making my mat stay in place?
Thanks
Hayley
Sarah Beston
1 person likes this.
Dearest Hayley, So glad you are digging the challenge! What has been your favorite practice so far? We love the Manduka Black Mat. Its heavy, durable, provides good padding for the knees, and never slips. But it's a major investment, costing around $70. So you might try one of Manduka's midrange brands like the ecomat. I'm not sure what kind of mat is Shelley's favorite! Maybe ask her direct in the forum what she suggests? Best, Sarahhttps://www.manduka.com/
Martha K
I just bought a Manduka mat and on the label it suggested applying a layer of salt for 24 hours, removing the salt and then the mat is ready to use. Unfortunately, after the salt application my mat is slippery and down dog is impossible. Help! What is going on here?
Elizabeth M
1 person likes this.
Martha K  I found this forum thread, Slip Happens, on Manduka's website that might help you address slipping. My experience is that it takes time for yoga mats to break in, and that with use they becomes more tacky. I also personally use a sport grip powder called Dry Hands, which really works BUT it will leave a white residue on your mat, so please be aware of that. I don't mind this residue at all, so I continue to use it regularly. I hope this helps! 

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial