Aligned and Awake: Lower Back Relief<br>Nathan Briner

Aligned and Awake: Lower Back Relief
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Jenny S
1 person likes this.
Such a powerful practice! As usual, your gentle voice somehow makes even back bending at the crack of dawn plausible. Before I knew it it was time for one of your lovely nurturing savasanas. Iā€™m feeling grounded and ready to take on the day! šŸŒŸ
Nathan Briner
Ahhh! Backbends. Such a great way to start the day. Nice to hear from you Jenny.
Lisa M
1 person likes this.
Wonderful, once again. Thank you
Christel B
1 person likes this.
Loving the focus on lengthening and creating that solid sacrum position. Thanks for another wonderful session!
Janet L
1 person likes this.
Wonderful like all your classes! thank you
Kate M
1 person likes this.
Nice sequencing to Natarajasana! The cueing for dropping the sacrum down was helpful too. Question: I think you said that in the sphinx/cobra sequence, avoid clenching the gluteus maximus - okay - but did you say to engage deeper muscles? Which deeper muscles were you referring to?
Nathan Briner
Kate, glad you liked it! The glute max will contract but it is the glute med and hamstrings that we want to lead the way. If the glutes dominate the buttock contraction they will force the thighs into external rotation and it makes more difficult to move the sacrum properly. The glute med and hams leading the way lessens the external rotation action and gives greater awareness and access to the proper movement of the sacrum and tailbone-> toward the heels. This action helps to avoid excessive compression of the low back in the backbends. I hope this helps! Just ask if you need more clarity.
Lorrie B
Again, Nathan, thank you! Your excellent instruction helped me correct the pelvic tilt that I have (apparently) been doing wrong for years. What a difference it makes.... gratitude. 
Nathan Briner
Lorrie! šŸ™
Thank you for sharing your experience :)
Eric K
2 people like this.
Beautiful sequencing and such clear instructions. The whole glute-clarification (that may be the first time I've ever used that phrase) immediately changed the backbending experience. I appreciate the pace and presence as well.
1-10 of 11

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial