Aligned and Awake: Strong Standing Postures<br>Nathan Briner

Aligned and Awake: Strong Standing Postures
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Nathan Briner
Eric, thank you!
Juliet M
I am really enjoying the learning experiences offered in these classes. I have a headstand practice, but cannot lift into headstand using the blocks (just 2) as described. Judging by the other comments, this should be a wonderful addition to my practice. Any thoughts?
Nathan Briner
Hi Juliet
If I’m reading you correctly, you can set up the headstand as shown and raise your hips but you can’t kick up, is that correct?
Juliet M
Yes Nathan, that is it in a nutshell. Without blocks, no problem, I can lift straight up into a headstand. With the blocks, I can raise my hips, but cannot lift all the way up. There are many poses, that I accept are a work in progress, but I have been doing headstands for years and just don't understand what the difficulty is! Any insight would be appreciated.
Nathan Briner
Juliet, I believe the issue is that the blocks prevent you from shifting forward (toward the wall) with your shoulders and thoracic spine. When you do this movement without the blocks it puts your center of gravity at an advantageous leverage position to draw the legs up. Without that shift you would need very mobile hips to essentially fold tightly, then lift. Does that make sense?
Juliet M
2 people like this.
Yes, thank you that does make sense. I shall embrace the pose, for what it is! You're classes are so interesting and inform my approach to the rest of my practice. I am most grateful for the videos and for the comments.
Nathan Briner
Juliet, it is quite an experience to lift up with the blocks in place. If you’d like to try it, you can place a chair near your feet when you set up the pose. Once you like your knees, set the feet on to the chair seat. Lift one leg up to full headstand. Then if you feel you have the mobility and strength, bring the other leg up. I will caution you that I requires good shoulder mobility, like pichamayurasana. So be wise with the attempt :)
Martha K
1 person likes this.
Interesting, powerful and fun. My body likes this work
Nathan Briner
Martha K :) now that sounds like a power session! 
Sandra Židan
Great practice, Nathan! I've enjoyed doing it! Kind regards!
11-20 of 20

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial