Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 20: Flexibility 2<br>Nathan Briner

Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 20: Flexibility 2
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Jenny S
6 people like this.
One of the many things I love about yoga is that no matter how long one has been practicing, there are always new things to learn. Your practices are so full of useful tips and innovative poses and transitions, so it’s always fresh and fun. Today was just like that, and a great way to start the weekend 🌝
Joan J
3 people like this.
Having tight hips I always appreciate stretching  practices.  Using the block between the thighs to open the hips was new and wonderful.  I look forward to all the flexibility sessions 🌾🌸
Kate M
2 people like this.
I really enjoyed this practice! Some interesting ideas: loved the transition from "Figure 4" to supine twist. Also - the use of the block to actively encourage the inner rotation of the thighs. Really helpful stuff! Thanks, Nathan : )
Nathan Briner
Thanks Kate. I’ve noticed that much of yoga asana focuses on external rotation. I think it’s really important to include things that encourage clear internal rotation. 
Cassandra B
Yet another practice learning to focus on my body, my spirit. Just didn’t understand how it could be over so quickly I particularly appreciated comments on hyper-extending. In my decades of doing yoga, I have found little attention to how to work with this. Balance and strength - of course! Thanks, Nathan
Nathan Briner
Cassandra, nice to hear from you. It sounds like you’re really enjoying the challenge. Very nice to have you with us. Thank you for making a note on hyperextension of the knees. That adjustment can form a nexus of stability that unlocks so much space in the body. Once the leg is stable, power can be delivered through the leg(s) to root into the ground. From that foundation the the body unwinds into spaciousness. 
Matthew
1 person likes this.
another great practice! thanks.
Daniel C
Discovered rolling the biceps out and not just tucking the shoulders  and really felt improvement in opening the chest. My Q is, in savassana, is one trying to to  express inner lift as one would in mountain pose.?
Nathan Briner
Daniel C, to answer your savasana question, there are various techniques, like I teach in the challenge, that place the body in a super supportive position. What can say simply is that the whole point of savasana is to create a position that is incredibly soothing to the nervous system and diaphragm. The more support, symmetry, and quiet you create, the more the body drops into a parasympathetic state. This parasympathetic state shifts the brain and hence thought into deep silence and restoration. You’ll know your savasana is well done if thought automatically becomes quieter over a short period of time. But remember, I said this was a simple answer. There are a number of factors that help or hinder this process. 
Daniel C
1 person likes this.
Nathan Briner Thanks Nathan. Have reengaged a yin\restoritve evening practice so am exploring those mechanics so i have better control of the inner state throughout the day\life. Again thanks.
1-10 of 15

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial