Aligned and Awake: Gift of Support<br>Nathan Briner

Aligned and Awake: Gift of Support
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Julie M
2 people like this.
Hi Nathan, the talon concept works so well...I feel I’ve really learnt a new skill that will help protect my body as I approach 50. I will carry your teaching with me as I continue to practice and will revisit your classes to reconnect with the support principles. Thanks again, it can’t be easy to cue this type of practice! Julie :)
Nathan Briner
Julie M, I truly believe these principles are what will help us use the practice to its fullest and build strong, mobile bodies. 
You’re right about the cueing. It’s tough because a principle is an overarching concept, what people actually feel is subjective and personal. My hope is that the concepts are clear enough that anyone can them to begin to see how they open a channel of perception within. 
Good to be here with you :)
Catherine A
These classes on the alignment principles have been of great benefit to me, Nathan. I too find myself moving in a rather stilted and stiff way as I try to focus on the muscular effort needed to get the alignment absolutely correct But when I do get it right, it feels simply amazing. I engage in a lot of Ashtanga vinyasa flow and love it. But it is extremely easy to lose the 'scaffolding' for some of the more physically demanding poses such as triangle, side-angle, half-moon lizard and so on while flowing quickly along from one pose to another. So, I guess it is all about the 'focus' as you say and eventually it becomes automatic. Or so I hope Best regards and many thanks for these wonderful sessions. Catherine 
Nathan Briner
Catherine A, I’m so happy to hear that you’re connecting with the principles. I guarantee that will a few weeks of practice the muscular efforting will naturally find a more comfortable rhythm. You’ll find that because of your repeated application of the principle(s) that your sensitivity, your ability to feel within will increase. When THAT starts to grow, you’ll need less and less gripping of the muscles, as it were. You’ll be able to contract just enough so you can feel the scaffolding is set and from that powerful scaffolding you can begin to dive even deeper with your awareness. 
I’m really looking forward to hearing what else you discover. 
One side note: check that you aren’t overpowering your muscle actions. We do want to contract to help set up the support, but not crush. I hope that makes sense. 
Give me a shout if you want to talk further :)
Ali
Ali
1 person likes this.
I experienced the most serene trikonasana ever! Thank you Nathan; again, I’ll be using this forever!
Nathan Briner
Ali, supporting the outer so that the inner peace can shine 😇
Peggy L
1 person likes this.
Another great practice! Your explaination of the importance of support was spot on. This will help keep my joints safer🙏
Nathan Briner
I like the sound of that Peggy L
Rosanna S
2 people like this.
Another great class! The hip engagement felt really different today with the support of the hamstring, and I found by the end of class that my right hip, which is often problematic for me, was making my right leg shake a bit in the forward bending poses. It felt like a release of tension. Looking forward to the rest of the classes!
Nathan Briner
Rosanna S, what you’re describing is exactly what I am hoping people will experience. With the right alignment and support, the body will let go and release tension, like you said. This phenomenon is the experience of the nervous system being sufficiently supported and the allowing of true relaxation. 
I’m excited to hear you’re sending this happening 😀🙏
11-20 of 27

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial