Empowered Aging: Foundations<br>Jason Schneider

Empowered Aging: Foundations
Jason Schneider

Watch this Practice
Kira C
4 people like this.
Thank you so much for this series Jason.   I've been having so much trouble with my wrists that I was only doing somatic and gentle yoga to avoid the wrist pain of plank.  Today I tried it on forearms and just skipping it....it was nice to have permission to skip and a pace that allowed me to explore.  
Jason S
4 people like this.
@KiraC every time you step on your mat, make your practice meet your body and its particular needs.   Always create that space for revision, exploration and freedom of movement.   That is how yoga will fit nicely into your life, body and regular routine.
I hope you will continue to explore and find ways to expand your practice to make sense for you!
Thank you for practicing with me! 🙏🏻
Jenny S
4 people like this.
First of all, Welcome Jason!  Thank you for bringing your expertise to Yoga Anytime.  In my case, this was indeed divine timing.  I’m not sure what happened, but as I’ve closed out the first year of my 60’s, its been one ailment after another 😳 a broken toe followed by some pretty intense shoulder pain, first on the right and now on the left.  I feel like I’m falling apart at the seams!  It took me a minute to realize that it’s time to slow down my practice.  Your pearls of wisdom and gentle teaching style helped me to enjoy my yoga in a way that is kinder to myself.  Thank you so much and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season! 🙏🏻❤️🕊️

Sharon
4 people like this.
I really appreciate that Jason reminds us throughout the class to not rush and be mindful for each asana and pause to feel the nuances. His reminders are so helpful: checks and balances, paying attention to proper alignment, matching the breath to movements, and always honoring our bodies during practice. 
Recently my wrists were bothersome.  Using the blocks for Chaturanga helped reduce wrist and forearm strains. Rotating and wrapping out the upper arm muscles reduced the stress on my shoulders. I feel much better.  Thank you! 
I truly enjoyed this first class of the series and look forward to much more. 
Jason S
4 people like this.
@JennyS, thanks for the warm welcome and I can very much relate.  As a former athlete and fitness professional, I often live in the mindset of what my body was able to do and not what it can do, now.  Time and time again, my ego results in me being injured or frustrated that my body doesn’t perform as I remember or want.    
I’d like to say I’ve grown to know better, but the truth is I struggle constantly with the changes in my body and abilities.   What I can say, with great assurance, is that life is much more fun and sane when I celebrate what I can do (pain free) and appreciate the fact that staying active - at any age - will keep me young and mobile.
Whether it’s yoga, working out (because resistance training is crucial to empowered aging) or walking - learn to celebrate what we can do pain-free.   Let’s be kinder to ourselves. ❤️
Jason S
4 people like this.
@Sharon, so glad we got to practice together and appreciate the feedback.   I hope my classes keep you challenged, yet comfortable and grounded.
Muz M
1 person likes this.
Really enjoyable and well paced session.
Jason S
1 person likes this.
Thanks Muz - glad we got to practice together.   I hope our future class releases help to expand your practice with a wide range of options!
Cassandra B
1 person likes this.
Thank you, Jason. Your workshop is just what I need now. I fully relate to having to accept new limitations in my body. I greatly appreciate your guidance and suggestions for options, and your reminders for strengthening and releasing. 
Jason S
2 people like this.
Thank YOU Cassandra!   Funny story, I was at the gym earlier today and sharing a piece of equipment with another guy.   He started to comment about how "we older guys need to work harder than 'these kids' to stay in shape."    I laughed a bit, as I agree and understand, but replied "I'm less worried about my shape and more concerned about my movement.   My goal was once aesthetics and ego.  Now, it's solely getting up from the couch without groaning and waking up each day without pain."    Yes, time shifts our perspectives...but you just keep dedicating yourself to RESPECTFUL movement, celebrate what your body can do and cut yourself some slack for the things your body may not want to do, anymore.
I think we should all take a moment of gratitude for what we have and remember, there are plenty of people in the world that wish they could move as freely or as well as us, even with our "limitations."  =o)
1-10 of 16

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial