21-Day Meditation Challenge: Day 10: I Am That<br>Nikki Estrada

21-Day Meditation Challenge: Day 10: I Am That
Nikki Estrada

Watch this Practice
Curtis Hamilton
Best meditation experience I have had in the past year. Soon after I started practicing yoga, my first yoga teacher suggested that I start meditating at home for 5 minutes a day. That sounded doable to me. One day we talked about mantra meditation. I went home and found a mantra meditation using the Mantra Ohm. I meditated along with the sound from the video for 4 straight hours. I didn't plan on doing that but that is just what happened.But that happened that one time and after that my meditation practiced gradually decreased to finally I meditated at most for 10 to 20 minutes a day consistently. But even less than 20 minutes a day has brought me lots of positive changes in my life condition. I want to meditate more and now during this meditation challenge I know that I will.
Nikki Estrada
That's excellent! Yes even a few minutes every day has a very positive effect. Glad this is supporting you!
Matthew
1 person likes this.
a bit tricky today - attention wandering/knees sore!
thanks anyway :)
Nikki Estrada
Matthew thats how it goes some days....
Melissa H
3 people like this.
I'm able to drop in quite deeply and my breath becomes still. I find, though, that my head and upper back seem to nod and then jerk (I'm not sure if it's only energetic or actual), but it yanks me out of the stillness for a moment and then I drop in again. But, the nod/jerk happens again. Any thoughts on this?
Nikki Estrada
Melissa this sounds very familiar to me. Yes, breath very very subtle sometimes almost nonexistent but there. The movement of upper back and neck could be physical and energetic but happens to me sometimes too. I wouldn't worry about it, just re-settle back into the technique!
Chrys M
1 person likes this.
Hi Nikki, can you tell me about keeping our teeth together and tongue on the top of our mouth please?
Nikki Estrada
Chrys that's a really good question. This meditation instruction comes from one of my teachers- Pandit Rajmani Tigunait. Although I have not expressly heard him say why, I have an educated guess. This is extremely detailed and subtle but at the back of the palate there is a point he references which is linked to the brain stem. In very deep pranayama and meditation practices this area is gently activated and has a very powerful and positive effect on the mind. Bringing the jaw and tongue together without tension into this position is related to accessing that part of the brain in meditation. I hope this makes sense....
Glenford N
1 person likes this.
I did your meditation practice after my yoga session and last thing before going to bed. I feel relaxed and calm. Looking forward to a blissful night's sleep. Namaste
Barbora K
Hi Nikki, I would like to ask about the tongue & teeth thing too. I have been meditating for a while and my teacher once said that it does not matter how/where I place the tongue and what I do with my teeth. However, I would like to follow your instructions here, but I just cant keep my teeth together, I feel too tense doing that, any suggestion how to ease that or should I just keep doing what feels comfortable to me? Thank you!
1-10 of 14

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial