Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 13: Power 1<br>Nathan Briner

Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 13: Power 1
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Nathan Briner
Alright KY!! So good to see you hear :)
Matthew
really enjoying the experience of this series - brilliant! :)
Nathan Briner
Wonderful to hear Matthew!  Thank you 🙏 
Daniel C
1 person likes this.
Funnily enough, just didnt want to engage with my body this morning as yesterday was a heavy training day outside of yoga. BUT...when doing camel, (just went full instead of half) i found i had to really engage the legs as a base of support to avoid lower back discomfort and that made a huge difference, rather than relying on my arms for support. Thought because i wasnt feeling like exercising at all i would have a lacklustre sesh. But i ended up feeling a lot better and learnt something powerful about a pose!

like Mike Tyson said, discipline is doing what you dont want to do and bullsh*##ing yourself into believing you enjoy it.
Nathan Briner
daniel, you nailed it! The legs should do a lot of work so that the spine is supported. It then moves and opens freely. Thanks for sharing that find :)
Duncan M
1 person likes this.
Hi Nathan,

I really enjoyed this challenge. I completed it and am not revisting several sessions and continue to enjoy them. You are a terrific teacher.
Here is my questions: I get a sharp cramp in my left leg hamstring when I try to reach for my foot with my right hand in the lunge twist in this practice. No problem when I reach for it with my left hand (Bow pose). My right hamstring is fine with either hand in both poses. Are there poses or stretches I should practice to release my left hamstring before attempting this move again?
Thank you for your great sessions.
Duncan
Nathan Briner
Duncan, Glad to hear you're enjoying the challenge. That twist you mention has claimed many hamstrings :) ! I would be more inclined to think that it is the way you're entering the pose rather than a issue with the hamstring. Usually it comes down to over activating the hamstring (flexing the knee) that triggers cramp. So you could be either too deep into the lunge or trying too hard to bring the foot toward the hand. I help my students with this by looping a strap around the foot so that they can gently draw the leg into the pose. Let me know if you need any help with this idea. Let me know how it goes :)
Aga
Aga
1 person likes this.
I really like this dynamic flow for a change after the restorative previous session. What I am personally lacking in my ability to execute here is dolphin: I haven't got enough arm strength to keep stable camel arms and also lacking some degree of hip mobility to bring the thighs close enough to the center to comfortably lift up one leg (in the half-splits fashion). If I retake the challenge, I will try to add one session prior to open up those hips more and work on the arm strength - it is my personal situation though, so other participants might be in a different relationship with these body parts Appreciate any comments on how I could add this hip opening and build the arms strength - thank you!
Nathan Briner
Hi Aga
Could you clarify what you mean by “camel arms” in reference to Dolphin pose? 
As for hip mobility, what might really help is bending the supporting leg at the knee and keep that heel as high as possible. If you have wall space, doing this pose with the lifted foot touching a wall is very helpful to gain muscular understanding.  Working on the lifting leg in bird dog and Warrior 3 with hands on blocks is also great for helping the lifting leg in this pose. Let me know how these tips work or if you need any other suggestions 😊
Aga
Aga
1 person likes this.
Nathan, thank you for your response - I will test all these great tips soon! Clearly I made a mistake, as I really meant "dolphin" arms but somehow mixed the two animals together
11-20 of 47

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial