Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 13: Power 1
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Nathan Briner
Aga, let me know how it goes. 
Aga
Aga
1 person likes this.
Hi Nathan, I see you have more Dolphin in episode 14 (so we know where this is going and your tips have helped me in the leg lifting department. The bouncing exercise helps to alleviate the inversion aversion a little. P.S. Do you also recommend people getting some strength conditioning outside of the mat to make their arms stronger for Dolphin and the handstand asanas?
Nathan Briner
Aga, you’re right! There’s more on the way. But I think you’ll be well prepared to challenge it. 
Yes, I recommend and personally do weightlifting. I’ll sometimes use it for strength in a specific pose or just to keep my muscles strong. However, I have discovered that the active engagement of the shortening muscle while in the pose for a longer duration (2-5 minutes) plus slow light breathing through the nose only, creates an incredible amount of strength :)  
Caroline
1 person likes this.
Thanks for a great class!
Nathan Briner
Caroline, you are most welcome!
Kerry N-W
1 person likes this.
Thanks for an inspiring series. I think it might be wise for me to return to the beginning b/c I just don't have the leg strength for rising up into Warrior 1 with any degree of control and also holding a Crescent Lunge. DO you think this the best way to build that strength?

Nathan Briner
Kerry N-W, looks like you’re a musician? Very cool 😎. 
Can you tell me more about what you mean by “lifting into warrior 1”? What challenge are you seeing? Which leg, the front or back?
Kerry N-W
1 person likes this.
That's actually the bass player in Stephen Malkmus's band The Jixx. Wish it were me! The lift that is tough is actually the trunk and arms up! I think it's core strength? Should I push hard into the ground with my back foot? I think I shy away from that because I can't quite get the back edge of my foot down w/o slow, careful attention.
Nathan Briner
Kerry N-W, if I could be any musician it would be Trey Anastasio. He’s my guitar god. 
As for your warrior challenges, I don’t usually think of the lift as being core issue. It’s more of a spinal muscle lift that holds the trunk up and creates the arch of the back. Based on what you’re saying, I suspect your body would be considered stiff. Is that right? If that’s the case using props and/or not trying to go as deep could really be helpful. 
Nathan Briner
Kerry N-W, for the back foot I highly recommend placing the heel 3 inches up on a wall. It takes the struggle out of the ankle joint. I did some cool wall work in my series Aligned and Awake that you should check out. It could make a big difference in how you work in these poses. If you want more help, let me know. 
21-30 of 47

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial