Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 6: Strength 6<br>Nathan Briner

Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 6: Strength 6
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Nathan Briner
Bridget, this is a pretty common issue with this kind of pose. The position asks a lot of the hamstring. My solution is to grab the rear ankle before lunging deeper into the pose. Or, said differently, in the kneeling lunge position stick your bottom out toward the back foot. This will give the hamstring some better leverage and reduce the tendency to cramp. 
Let me know if this makes sense. 
Bridget
1 person likes this.
That really helped.  I was able to grab my ankle and complete the pose without the muscle spasm.  Thanks again!
Nathan Briner
Bridget! Fantastic! 😊 
Christine D
1 person likes this.
This is my third time with this challenge, and I have such a better understanding of my body.  I'm understanding the strong legs, pinning and rooting this time, rather than focusing on shapes, which deepens the experience.  Certainly worth visiting this challenge more than once.  Thank you Nathan.
Nathan Briner
Christine D that is awesome to hear. I love that you’re going back through the lessons and experiencing the poses from new, stronger perspectives. I agree, when the stability and balance are in place the poses take on a whole different life!
Elizabeth H
1 person likes this.
really really this is an amazing practice for me thanks again so much
Nathan Briner
Elizabeth H You’re doing great! Are there any poses you need a little extra help on?
Elizabeth H
1 person likes this.
Hi Nathan, actually I am trying to recover my spine that has three herniated discs in the lumbar. Back bending feels really good, forward bending not so much. I am trying to get strength and stability so I can recover. It's difficult because I am flexible and I can rely too much on this. 
Nathan Briner
Working with hyper mobile people is actually a specialty of mine. That’s why I built this program with this particular progression of lessons. Build strength first. Then try for mobility. Hyper mobile people will often move too far and they forget to create some resistance in their poses. 
Just to throw out an idea, you might consider repeating the first week’s lessons. Let your body build strength and comfort in these poses. I know that jumping into the new lessons is very tempting, but you may find that you’ll feel more and more confident as your strength grows. 
Let me know if you want to chat about these ideas over zoom :) 
Jenny S
1 person likes this.
Yes! Just finished the ‘Strength’ portion of my 2nd time around on this challenge. I’m noticing a change in my physical as well as mental state already 💪🧠. This challenge is a great way to clear out the summertime cobwebs! Thank You 🙏🏻❤️
31-40 of 49

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial