Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 7: Balance 1<br>Nathan Briner

Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 7: Balance 1
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Nathan Briner
daniel, a couple of things could be happening here. If your hip mobility is limited in dog pose then keeping a straight leg will put a lot of pressure on the supporting leg hip flexors. In this case I suggest bending that leg a bit. 
The next possibility is that the arms aren’t contributing their fair share of support which causes the leg to do most of the work. This can cause a muscle overload and cramping. Check that the arms fully active and pressing the hips back away from the hands. 
The last thing that comes to mind (without having seen your pose) is that you could be very mobile and very deep in the pose with sharp hip hinge happening. This can cause the supporting leg hip flexors to become quite short causing cramping. If this is the case try taking a longer stance in dog pose to open the hip hinge a little. 
See how those ideas land and let me know how you do. 
Thanks for reaching out!
Lisa M
3 people like this.
Sooo good. Was expecting ho-hum about “ another tree pose” class but you brought fresh insight. Perfect balance between sweetness and strength. Gratitude!
Nathan Briner
Thank you Lisa 😀
Did anything in particular grab you?
Hildy K
I have very tight hips so i cannot bring my leg up to my thigh (yet). Is it ok that i start lower on the leg under the knee?
Lisa D
1 person likes this.
Loved the hip lifts. Man that was subtle but tough. Liked the idea of feeling my body in mountain pose on the ground first before balancing (attempts)
Jodi S
2 people like this.
Wonderful challenge - through day 7 (in 8 days) and it is amazing how much stronger and confident I feel.  I've been lax on my yoga for the past year or so but this has helped me realize and wonder....why did I ever "quit"?  Thank you so much!  You are amazing to listen to and so clear in your direction.  Thank you!!
Nathan Briner
Jodi, very kind words thank you! Sounds like your practice and body have been reinvigorated! Glad to have you here on the challenge  Don’t hesitate to reach out if you ever need any help or have any questions. Hope to hear from you again down the line 🙏
mamarudd
1 person likes this.
I am thrilled that I found this practice!  I have been doing yoga on a regular basis for about 3 years, and  today, in Day 1 of the Balance theme, you introduced me to TWO new positions!  Thank you for helping me find new space, freedom, and balance in my body.

Looking forward to tomorrow!
Nathan Briner
mamarudd! Great to hear from you and welcome to the 30 day challenge! I loving hearing that your discovered some new poses and new ideas to add to your practice. I’m always here if you have a question or need any help with a pose. 

All my best!
Caterina C
 Hi Nathan, a bit of backake in Navasana pose. I guess my abs are too weak. I will listen to my body and try again.
11-20 of 34

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial