Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 7: Balance 1<br>Nathan Briner

Align with Freedom: 30-Day Yoga Challenge: Day 7: Balance 1
Nathan Briner

Watch this Practice
Nathan Briner
Caterina C, it’s important to build strength slowly in this pose. Find a stage in the lesson that you feel you are in complete control of. Start there and progress slowly to the next stage. Be patient. The strength will come :) 
Rosanna S
Another great class! Question - for women on their monthly cycle, do you recommend pausing the challenge for a couple of days? Or are these practices gentle enough to keep going?
Nathan Briner
That’s a good question Rosanna S. I’ll admit that I am not an expert in this arena. However, from what I do understand, it is the full inversions like headstand and shoulder stand that pose the bigger risk because of the potential reversal of flow. I don’t think this routine poses much of an issue but if you are concerned, you can Google Iyengar menstruation sequence for Geeta’s suggested asanas. 
Helen B
1 person likes this.
I am struggling with these balance poses, especially right side, I have weakness in my right ankle following torn ligaments and tendons, happy to persevere with classes, consistency in doing classes is an issue for me too at this time 🙏
Nathan Briner
Helen B, I completely understand. I also have destroyed my left ankle with sprains. I love using the wall or other props that help me stay in the poses and build strength in the lower leg. Sometimes, lifting the toes up can also help “shape” the foot and allow for better balance. And sometimes...it’s just darn hard. I feel you 😞
Ann H
Nathan Briner I was having trouble with the half frog knee lifting my knee at all. Is there anything I can do that will help strengthen the area? Thanks! I am enjoying the challenge!
Nathan Briner
Hi Ann H! That's a good question. The easiest way to allow for motion is roll the hip on the frog leg side up away from the floor a little. If it is the right leg in frog, roll the right hip up a few inches (keep the foot on the floor) and that should create some space for movement.  
The half frog pose really has everything to do with the architecture of the hip joint rather than flexibility or strength. Sliding the knee out into the frog position takes the hip to its maximum abduction position and, for some people, negates the ability to lift the knee. 
Let me know if the adjustment I shared above works for you or if you need any more help.
All my best!
If you're on instagram I regularly post tips and ideas for practice that you might enjoy. You can follow me @Nathan_Briner. 
Ann H
Nathan Briner Thanks 
Rolling helped!
Borka
1 person likes this.
Dear Nathan, I really enjoy these practices! I have to admit, though that push-ups are still a challenge Anyway, what I found strange in this practice was the cramp in my feet that I experienced when going down on the frog-like sitting. Sometimes I have the same sensation in child pose, so what I do is simply tuck my toes and then it goes away. The stretching, however, is not the same with tucked toes as with untucked ones. Is there a way I can "train" my feet to get used to staying relaxed when they're untucked?
Nathan Briner
Borka, thanks for reaching out. Toe cramps are a common experience in these types of poses. It may be that your feet just need some practice being in that position. It could also be that sitting directly on the feet is asking too much from your ankles which puts your toes past their maximum. Try putting one or two folded blankets under your shins from knees to ankles. The feet should not be on the blanket, just hanging off the back. See if that makes a difference and let me know how it goes. 
21-30 of 34

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Yoga Anytime Logo

Just Show Up

Over 2,900 yoga and meditation practices to bring you Home.

15-Day Free Trial